The Internet of things, or IoT, is a system of interrelated computing devices, mechanical and digital machines, objects, animals or people that are provided with unique identifiers (UIDs) and the ability to transfer data over a network without requiring human-to-human or human-to-computer interaction.
Frequently, we envision complex use cases for IoT. Vision-controlled robots on automated factory lines. Edge computing adding adaptive control at the device level utilizing artificial intelligence. Our focus on this vision, the infiltration of IoT into our daily lives has gone unnoticed. We have naturally embraced time saving and efficiency improving solutions such as: connected home hubs, smart thermostats, remote door opens and remote auto starters and many other mobile app-controlled devices. All are IoT solutions, they are devices connected to a communications network (Internet) that support remote operations and data collection. IoT’s successful integration into our daily lives has occurred because we value knowledge, convenience, and cost savings.
IoT is providing benefits in the following:
- Security Systems -remote control, access locks, camera integration
- Environment Control – remote control thermostat, noise & pollution monitoring
- Refrigerators – track temperatures, best by dates and consumption
- Smart Shoes – analysis of posture, mileage, calories, health, and fatigue
- Perfect Fit – lacing systems that automatically adjust to foot shape
- PoloTech – biometric readings of heart rate, calories burned, activity levels, breathing
- Remote Monitoring -heart rate, blood sugar, O2 levels
- Dental Hygiene – smart toothbrush for speeds, brush angles, pressure & miss sports
- Medical Alerts – emergency notifications to physicians and caregivers
- Smart Shelves – restocking notification using sensors, actuators, and phones
- In Store Marketing– IoT-beacons to collect user data and send hyper-personalized content
- Wait Times – monitor to take action to reduce or provide alternatives or distractions
Future applications will continue to proliferate. As we expand the capability to sense an input or environment, digitize it and connect to a computing source, there will be a growth in monitoring applications. Control of the process will be possible if we have intelligence processing the input and actuators to execute commands at the source.
Let us know if you are ready to connect to the future. With data analytics and Web & app development among our cadre of capabilities, Yalo can help you tap into the IoT for fascinating possibilities. Start a conversation by contacting us below.